‘Mummy, that’s the car that came to shoot Daddy’

Teagan Mullens at Darlinghurst Supreme Court to give a victims impact statement . Pic Nick Moir 6 April 2017 Photo: Nick Moir


Six months after the killing, Teagan Mullens’ young child pointed to a car, saying “Mummy, look, that’s the car that came to shoot Daddy.”

Ms Mullens then described it to homicide detectives. They confirmed it was the same colour, make and model as the getaway car used by the murderers of Joe Antoun, shot dead in the doorway of his Sydney home on December 16, 2013.

Through tears, Ms Mullens described her partner’s shooting as a “death sentence” for her family during a NSW Supreme Court sentencing hearing of two gang leaders convicted of arranging the hit.

Farhad Qaumi, 34, the former boss of the Brothers For Life Blacktown chapter, did not appear in the Darlinghurst court on Thursday.

His brother and co-offender Mumtaz Qaumi, 31, sat in the dock wearing a suit and tie, his hair swept back in a pony tail.

Sitting beside him was Jamil Qaumi, 24, facing sentencing alongside his brothers for a range of other violent crimes.

In exchange for $80,000 to $100,000 cloaked as payments for a kebab shop, the Qaumis organised for a BFL member to pose as a delivery man and kill Mr Antoun, 50.

He had been playing with his two young children before he answered the door. The gunman shot him in the chest five times.

“My last memory of Joe was watching him fall face first into his [children’s] playroom,” Ms Mullens said in her victim impact statement.

“He broke most of the bones in his face. I grabbed his face to kiss him. I remember the blood in his eyes and I felt his jaw crack and shatter in my hand. That will forever be our last kiss.”

Outside court she said Mumtaz had avoided her gaze. “They like to think they are men but they are far from it.”

In their victim impact statements, Mr Antoun’s children said they missed cuddling their father and watching movies with him.

“When we woke up early on school days we would run out and try to see Dad before he went to work,” one said. “We always waited for Dad if he worked late,” said the other.

Nemer Antoun said those who approached his brother as a friend received his love and respect but “if you saw him as a competitor, you got a bulldozer”.

Justice Peter Hamill, in his February verdict remarks, said “the precise nature of Mr Antoun’s business was elusive”, the evidence about it “riddled with euphemism”.

“He was involved in ‘construction’, ‘scaffolding’ and went to meetings where the participants discussed ‘business’,” the judge found. “Various questions were put that suggested he was a stand-over man.”

Police allege Mr Antoun’s former friend Elias “Les” Elias, was behind the hit, paying up to $190,000 for the two Qaumi brothers to arrange it. Mr Elias moved to the Philippines after the murder.

Justice Hamill said he suspected the now murdered mafia figure Pasquale Barbaro “stood behind Elias” but there was not enough evidence for a finding.

Mr Antoun had been friends with construction figure George Alex. He had fallen out with another well-known businessman, “Big Jim” Byrnes.

After a “mega trial” last year, the Qaumi brothers were convicted of offences including murder, conspiracy to commit murder and causing grievous bodily harm.

They had fought in a brutal factional war between Blacktown and Bankstown chapters of the now defunct BFL gang.

Sentencing submissions continue.